Thursday, April 12, 2007

Fashionably Joyful

I read an article about a man’s greatest joy. He described this joy in such a profound way that I had to read it three times over to make sure I gleaned what I should. I envied him. I envied his ability to make me read his words again and again, making me long for his ability to describe something so visibly.

His greatest joy? Seeing his words in print. His stories, his books and commentaries were the driving force in his life. When he picked up a book and saw words belonging to him, it made him feel alive. No, it made him feel invincible. For the first time in his life, he existed.

At first I thought his explanation was a brightly colored, imaginative narrative, but I think I tasted a little from the chalice from which he drank.

This afternoon, I walked into Barnes and Noble, I picked up the latest copy of Bride and Bloom Magazine. I nervously flipped through the pages until I found my voice. The proof of my existence.



There, on page 49 of the Summer 2007 edition, you’ll find me. I worked on an article for the magazine a while back and seeing it in print is the coolest emotion ever. For a minute, I wanted to turn to the elderly gentleman reading next to me and say, Hey, mister..yes, you…this is ME! I’d manically smile, and he’d respond by nodding his balding head, and turn back to his Walter Cronkite autobiography. But I did none of this. I just waited until I could show JD the magazine over dinner.




The 15-page article is a fashion write-up describing seven types of brides and various wedding accoutrements befitting of their personalities. I’m incredibly thankful for this experience and indebted to the people who helped along the way. A special thanks goes to Rita Hermes for allowing me to work along side her for this project and Carol Poon, Editor-in-Chief of Bride and Bloom, for allowing me to contribute to such an amazing magazine. From the bottom of my heart, thanks for allowing my words to take life.

Woohoo...that's my name! :)

Labels: ,

18 Comments:

Blogger Melissa Rich said...

yea! yea! yea! and yea!!!!! I can feel your excitement ooozing through the blogy-blog!!!

Sooo happy for you!!!!

~smiles~

8:34 PM  
Blogger Shannon said...

WOW!! Congratulations :) You are so talented, and it's so exciting that you got the opportunity to have your work published!

8:55 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

YAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAY!!!!! I'm so glad you posted because I didn't want to steal your thunder by blabbing all over the place about it unti you saw it!! ;) You're such a rockstar Jasmine... and it's so well deserved. In case anyone asks... my autographed photobooth picture with you is not for sale. ;) Happy Birthday!!!!!!

9:04 PM  
Blogger Melissa Koehler said...

How stinkin exciting girlie!! I am so happy for you. You have such a talent for putting such emotion behind your words. Congrats my dear. How wonderful!

9:10 PM  
Blogger Shyla said...

I just love watching you soar!

9:57 PM  
Blogger Steven Kang said...

You're just amazing. If you ask me Jas, your name Jasmine Star with big notice to STAR, you are really living up to that name.
You are like superstar of photog universe. Congrats.

12:29 AM  
Blogger F.E. Castleberry said...

Normally I'd have some kind of witty congratulations but...[speechless]

1:11 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Jasmine you got skills, An awesome photographer, wirter, I know the list gose on:) I'm going to get that book just because your article is in it.

6:57 AM  
Blogger nicole green said...

congrats!!! you are such a wonderful writer .. i can see why you are in there! i hope more opportunities like this come your way. :) i'm going to run to the store and pick one up today!

7:04 AM  
Blogger A Precious Moment Photography said...

You are very blessed to have good people around you. I have to go pick up a copy and tell my friends that I know you. He!He!

8:03 AM  
Blogger Maureen said...

That's amazing & a huge Congratulations to you!

8:47 AM  
Blogger David Burke said...

Awesome Jasmine!! Congratulations! You have so many talents!

David

10:58 AM  
Blogger Jessica C. Moritz said...

You are so unbelievable talented Jaz! I'm so happy for you!

11:37 AM  
Blogger Daniel J. Watkins said...

sweet!

12:37 PM  
Blogger Liana said...

Awesome to see it come to life!!! Can't wait to get a copy - go go girl!!!!

2:38 PM  
Blogger DrewB said...

That's awesome Jas! I know you were working hard on that. Congrats!

4:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations. I don't know if I would have been able to hold my self back, and not tell the Cronkite enthusiast.

9:20 PM  
Blogger Brandy J Rammel said...

This is just so great Jasmine! You are such a talented person - I am truly inspired by everything that you do!!

Thanks for the comment too! That was just so sweet of you!

brandy j

7:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home