Wednesday, April 04, 2007

The Art of Blogging

A few days ago, my good friend [b]ecker launched his ‘new and tasty’ blog. If you haven’t checked it out by now, you totally should. His work is fabulous, but beyond that, his personality shines past the sleek interface and allows the viewer to connect. It’s awesome! Here’s a link: the [b]log.

I’ve been thinking about blogs lately and their dynamic within the art world. During the days of Romantic art, artists like Rafael and DaVinci surrounded themselves with colleagues to discuss their work and engage in dialogue to further push their movement. Similarly, Picasso and Matisse—although widely considered each other’s nemesis—surrounded themselves with peers who helped them strive for better work (and outdo what the other person had just produced!). Often times, these groups were based on geographic proximity, more than anything else.

So much yet so little has changed since then. I consider blogs to be the new forms of dialogue, albeit heavily unidirectional, and have formed pseudo art groups, if you will. Nothing will substitute conversations in realtime, but blogs are truly pushing this industry in the right direction! I’ll be the first to admit that I’m a blog-a-holic. I began reading blogs while in college and it’s become a leisurely past time for me. Not only do I subscribe to a plethora of photography blogs, I subscribe to many others related to law, literature…and, yes, celebrity gossip ;)

I know I can’t list every photography blog I visit, but here are a few I frequent…each author strikes a chord with me for a myriad of reasons—inspiration, humor, technique—so I hope you find some of them just as amazing as I do!

Here are a few links (in no particular order)…
Gary Fong
David Jay
Mike Colon
Liana Lehman
Jessica Claire
[b]ecker
Boutwell Studio
Image Is Found
Jessica Strickland
Holritz
Fred Egan
Shyla
Amelia Lyon
Trista Lerit
Cameron Ingalls
Amy Nave/Albumesque
Bumatay
Jose Villa
Jesh De Rox
Anne Ruthmann
Bebb blog
Sara France
Luke Walker


Okay, that’s quite a list! I’m quite sure I missed a few, so I’ll update this list as it comes to mind. Again, there are many more blogs I visit, but these just kinda always stick out to me. They're my proverbial think tank…and though some don’t even know I exist, they’ve left an indelible impression. So, thank you.

Lastly, I’ve got to give a little love to Blu Domain’s Blog. It’s a totally fun and eclectic mix of photos, new photographers, and Kailee’s newest man crush. Be sure to check it out! Speaking of Blu, I had the pleasure of meeting the lovely people who run the organization on the WPPI Tradeshow Floor. I stole the following pictures from their blog...here I am with the Bebb's (Jen Bebb won the Blu Party Bowling Tournament...I think I'm gonna ask for lessons!)



And this funky picture is from the Blu Bowling Party...with the gorgeous and talented Jessica Claire and Sara France...and, yes, it sure was HOT in The Palms Hotel Suite! :)

Labels:

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

yay jasmine! thanks for the love. i totally agree. blogs are awesome and they help build community. whether it's helping to inspire or educate other photographers, or letting clients get to know us on a more personal level... blogs are a great communication tool.

i check just about every single one of those blogs on your list regularly, and i also gotta give master fong some love since he's the one who got me blogging in the first place. http://www.xanga.com/garyfong1

8:48 PM  
Blogger Jasmine said...

Hahhaha! I'm SO embarassed...how did I forget Gary?!?! I'm updating my list now! :)

9:15 PM  
Blogger F.E. Castleberry said...

Gorgeous Jazzy-

I 2nd what [b] said, not because I can't think for myself...I just agree with it :) Thanks for the LUV....but my link no worky :(

9:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jasmine! Becker referenced your blog in an OSP post so I thought I would check it out. Great read on blogs - they are invaluable as a marketing and networking tool. Our business would seriously suffer without it. Thanks again!

9:22 PM  
Blogger Jasmine said...

All fixed, Fred! ;)

9:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SO true about blog really providing a community. We've been thinking about blogging a lot lately too since Chris revamped ours this week! At first when I heard about blogs a couple years ago, I thought they sounded ridiculous! Now, I am also a blog junkie and have many that i read for learning AND relaxation! They have provided me with a whole new worldview, and reading so many different ideas from so many different places has totally shaped me in a way that never would have been possible without these "conversations" that blogging has created. Kudos to you for posting on such an important topic! :)

9:42 PM  
Blogger Dawn Shields said...

Hey beautiful girl! It was great to see you at WPPI! Thanks for pushing me into the world of blogging. I have
lots of work to do to mine but at least I have started ;-)

9:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

great post jas, and as always, it's a pleasure going through your blog. i always love reading what you have to write and checking in!!

10:06 PM  
Blogger nicole green said...

i have a blog obsession! i just added everyone to my blog reader list that wasn't already on there. now if i don't get my work done, i can say it's your fault for adding to my addiction! :D JK! :)

6:01 AM  
Blogger Anne said...

I totally have to send you our photobooth picture!!! (which also means I have to clean off the mail that has accumulated on top of my scanner - eek!) I'm now accepting membership applications for the Jasmine Star fanclub. :)

9:17 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I thought I was allready signed up for that fan club!!

9:59 AM  
Blogger Paige Kearin said...

I agree...technology is allowing us to dialogue and express ourselves in unique ways.

1:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree Jasmine, blogs keep us connected to other like-minded artists. It's detrimental, I think for any sort of artist to connect within a community.

I love to read Alec Soth's blog:
http://alecsoth.com/blog/

it's more along the lines of fine art photography, but he said it perfectly when he called his blog his version of the "smoke-filled coffee-house"....and without the lung cancer!!

1:56 PM  
Blogger Trista said...

Hey Jassy!

Great post! I must confess that I too stalk your blog..especially when I know you've done a wedding..can't wait to see those pics!

2:43 PM  
Blogger Maureen said...

Hey Jasmine!

I read most of these blogs regularly too...can't wait to check out the ones I haven't read yet! Great post & great meeting you at WPPI... & thanks for your email last week :-)

2:45 PM  
Blogger Rhonda said...

Hi Jasmine, I’ve been reading your blog daily or at least every time you post. I’m pretty new to blogging, only been doing it for about a month. But, the thing I find interesting are the little blog communities that form around different interests, in your case photography. I’m a wedding blogger and I also read the style blogs. But it’s nice to cross over to experience and connect with other communities. So thanks for all the links, they will keep me busy for a while. I love the beautiful photos and the interesting posts!

Hope to run into you again!

Rhonda

3:21 PM  
Blogger || davidjay || said...

Happy Birthday darling!

12:05 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

hugs.

J* is the best blogger in the world. I read this blog for the visual feastyness of it... as well as the amazing verbal fare.

a

2:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home