Monday, October 30, 2006

Pumpkins Can't Tie

So, last night JD and I stopped by Trader Joe's for a few things. Nothing specific, just the usual tofu steaks, organic strawberries, and whole grain bread for me (oh the joys of being married to a vegetarian!) and a roast turkey for him. On our way into the store, JD scoped out the pumpkin patch and carefully chose a pumpkin for us to carve. This one's nice, he said as he held up a large round pumpkin. I paused, weighing my options, and said, Let's make it a competition this year! Ever the competitor, JD easily agreed and I saw his pupils diabolically enlarge. He's like that. Competitive. Oh yes, he may appear docile and overtly pleasant, but when it comes to a challenge, he has to win. Oh, and if you're wondering, putting a Scrabble board between us is the equivalent of asking the Lord Almighty to beckon World War III.

So, last night a line of demarcation was figuratively drawn between the kitchen nook and the kitchen. He at the table, me at the kitchen counter. We gave ourselves a 30-minute time limit to carve, so while John Mayer serenaded our artistic ventures, we diligently worked. When I walked across the kitchen for a glass of water, JD turned his sketch upside down. Yes, I said 'sketch'. I told you he's competitive.

When the time elapsed, we had to objectively vote for the superior pumpkin. He liked mine (I could see it in his eyes), but...voted for his. And, well, I voted for my pumpkin because it was vastly superior. In the end, our pumpkins tied. JD seems content with this notion, but it doesn't bode well with me. In lieu of this, feel free to cast a vote for the better lookin' pumpkin.

Oh, and in my unbiased opinion, the pumpkin on the right is hot.

Labels:

14 Comments:

Blogger || davidjay || said...

The J-star pumpkin takes good advantage of putting your brand in front of a future audience and as Beckwith says, "Familiarity breads business."

The cat on the other hand cleverly gives the audience what it came for (a feeling of Halloween) leaving then liking and trusting the creator. It would also probably lead to conversations about how black cats bring people bad luck.

I think conversations, trust, likability win with this future generation because of their natural disregard for "one-directional" and "broadcast" oriented marketing.

:)

7:27 PM  
Blogger Shyla said...

wow... Deep (pumpkin) thoughts by DJ... LOL!

OK, so here is my dilemma.... I too am very competitive when it come to being creative so to vote for Jazzy's pumpkin would cause an all too familiar frustration for JD, but to vote for JD's pumpkin would result in the denial of my inherent instinct to side with and support my dear girlfriend!

As a result I forfeit my right to vote! ( I have had enough voting ( and rooting for that matter) for one week! ;)

11:59 PM  
Blogger Jasmine said...

Haha! Com'on guys...keep it real and vote for the better pumpkin. Ahem, mine.

8:43 AM  
Blogger || davidjay || said...

JD is my hero - I would never vote against him!

9:19 AM  
Blogger Shyla said...

Jasmine is my girl- I would never vote against her!


;)

10:47 AM  
Blogger Shyla said...

lol... we really are getting nowhere!

10:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One is clearly vastly superior than the other. I just can't tell which one!

One way to solve this is with a bible verse...

Matthew 20:16 - "So the last will be first, and the first will be last!"

:D

1:54 PM  
Blogger Mike Colón said...

They are both very cool but my vote is with JD on this one... that cat is sweet! I like how the back is arched like it's hissing!

3:34 PM  
Blogger Mike Colón said...

I want to see Jasmine take her J to another level and duplicate the J in her logo. Then I'll change my vote :)

3:38 PM  
Blogger Jasmine said...

Heeeeey, No Fair!! This is MY blog. Therefore, I win. Always. If you'd like to vote for his pumpkin, well, you can't. Therefore, I win :)

11:15 PM  
Blogger || davidjay || said...

Men Rule!

(I can say stupid things like that b/c I'm single)

...hmmm (or maybe it's reversed - Maybe I'm single b/c I say stupid things like that.)

oh well...gotta go....bye

10:03 AM  
Blogger Natalie Joy said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:27 PM  
Blogger Natalie Joy said...

WOW! This is hilarious!!!
Those pumpkins are awesome!
Well...I'd have to vote for Jasmine's:) because I'm not big on the whole "Black Cat brings Bad Luck:)" thing but that still is a totally awesome pumpkin! so yeah..:)
You guys totally rock!

12:29 PM  
Anonymous Tracy said...

They both look great, but I am going to have to go with yours. :)

9:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home