Saturday, October 28, 2006

A Hedgehog in Ink

As we sat in the crowded theater, the electric current of college life surged through the corduroy seats. To be fair, there were non-students sitting in the Claremont McKenna College auditorium, but they were easily identifiable. The eclectic mix of women (mostly clad in layered tie-dyed skirts and Birkenstocks) and men (dressed in carefully selected designer jeans and Ferragamo suede loafers) spoke of Indie concerts and political affairs in the seats around me. They were the NPR-types who wore glasses. Heavy black-rimmed, circular featherweights, rhinestone edged. They all wore glasses. It made me wish I had brought a pair. I mean, I don’t wear glasses, but perhaps they would have helped in achieving the appearance of intellect. Afterall, we were all there to hear one of America’s greatest writers read a few short stories…shouldn’t I look the part? ;)

When JD surprised me with tickets to see David Sedaris a couple months ago, I nearly had a heart attack. It was by far one of the best gifts I had ever received, especially since Sedaris’ book tour is sold out. He is the funniest writer I have ever encountered…so much so that I can’t read his books in public for fear of people inquiring whether I’ve taken my meds.

Sitting in the auditorium last night, hearing him read and seeing him in person, was surreal. So surreal I hardly noticed when JD excused himself three-quarters through the performance to never return. As the show concluded, I walked into the lobby bewildered and wondering where he went. Didn’t he remember I wanted to get my favorite book signed?

Yes, he had. There, standing first in a line of hundreds, was JD. He stood proudly smiling, like he knew my heart melted in gratitude. Hurry, he told me, and pass me your camera because pictures aren’t allowed, but I’ll try to get a few when no one’s looking. My heart melted again. He knew how much the night meant to me and wanted to make sure it ended on a high note.




When David approached the seemingly over-sized chair, I couldn’t help but stare. When our eyes met, he smiled warmly and invited me closer. I wordlessly passed him my book and he noticed the post-it attached to the cover that had my name displayed on it.

Jasmine Star, that’s your real name?
Yes…yes, it is.
What do you do, Jasmine Star?
I’m a photographer.
You're a hedgehog?!
No, I’m a photographer.
I’m so sorry…it’s just so loud in this foyer…what’s your specialty?
I’m a wedding photographer.

He then looked up at me and smiled broadly. He began scribbling on the front page of my book and then said…
Well, I’ve never done this before, but I signed the book especially for you.

I thanked him profusely and as I turned to walk away, I glanced down and saw this:


There, in a legend’s writing, is a cartoon of a hedgehog saying ‘I do’. Sure, I might not have been wearing Birkenstocks or viewing life through a pair of glasses, but I was the only girl that night to walk away with hedgehog. It was a beautiful night indeed.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Shyla said...

Haha.. I seriously laughed out loud when I read the whole 'Hedgehog' thing... then I laughed even harder when I saw the picture! That is so fantastic!

Also, I must say that your dear darling husband is setting the bar so high I fear I will never find a comparison!...lol... what an angel!

9:45 AM  
Blogger amynave said...

Ok my heart melted just reading this. JD is the GREATEST!!!!!!

See you soon girly:)

Love you,
Amy

9:48 AM  
Blogger Christy said...

Hi Jasmine,

I love reading your blog!! I feel like I've opened the page of a book-- (Your life) and experienced it!! You have an incredible husband!! Your marriage is truly an inspiration...

Christy B.

8:37 PM  
Blogger Brett Austin said...

Seriously... I'm taking notes on JD. I've always loved doing surprise stuff like that. However, I'm in the minor leagues compared to JD... so I've got to take lessons and notes from a pro!

11:43 AM  
Blogger Jasmine said...

Yes, JD, is fantastically awesome...although after reading these comments, I may have to exnae him from blog reading...his head may become a little on the big side after reading such flattery! :)

7:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jasmine, the Lord's favor truly does follow you every where you go!!! JD...He's just amazing!

10:26 PM  
Blogger M said...

I don't know if you get the comments anymore since this is your old blog. But I totally love you...and now I love JD. He is the most thoughtful guy in the WORLD. Seriously I teared up when I read this post! I could picture him standing there first in line with a big grin, wow, he is so sweet! And the hedgehog thing is hilarious :)

12:42 PM  
Anonymous Tracy said...

JD is SO thoughtful, I am always impressed at the lengths he goes to to show you he cares! :) Funny hedgehog story too.

8:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home