Thursday, October 19, 2006

Yeehaw

I'll try to be posting sporadically, but I'm excited to announce I'm in Texas. I'm here for a few things, but I'll try to post on that later. I flew in early this morning and spent the day with a realtor looking at homes. Homes? Yes, I know this must seem random, but JD and I were thinking of buying an investment property (a la Gary Fong) and we've heard great things about Texas. And so far, things are looking good. I'm still not sure whether we'll finalize anything, but it's been a great experience thus far.




Top Ten Things I've Learned on My First Day in TEXAS:
10. Everything's bigger here
9. I'm referred to as ma'am...which is a little disconcerting because it makes me feel old. I find myself saying, 'Feel free to call me Miss...really, it's fine', but this is only received with a scrunching of eyebrows and a shoulder shrug
8. Texans sure love their Sonic Burgers...they appear on every other corner
7. People drive trucks. Everybody has a truck.
6. Texans drive at the speed limit. Never, ever faster than that. It kind of drives me crazy.
5. Every Texan doesn't wear a cowboy hat and boots...this made me sad. Perhaps it's like when a tourist visits California and realizes our lifeguards don't look like Pamela Anderson.
4. People seem happier here...maybe it's the Sonic ;)
3. I haven't seen a single European-made car, just lots and lots of Fords and Chevys
2. Texans love their American flags...from t-shirts, styrofoam cups, and trucker hats, the flag is everywhere. Everywhere.
1. Don't Mess with Texas! (At least that's what everyone's bumper stickers state)

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Holritz Photography said...

SO excited for you guys! I hope things work out well on this venture!

- Nathan

7:16 AM  
Blogger Holritz Photography said...

I cannot wait to see you! There is a cute little sonic 1 minute from my house... just for you.

amber

2:53 PM  
Blogger Jillian Kay said...

hey, i may be in norcal now, but i'm from texas and sonic rocks. cheddar peppers and a lime slushie...yum. :) good luck with the investment property!

10:46 PM  
Blogger Shyla said...

The 11th thing you will learn about Texas...The cowboys are HOT!!

11:10 PM  
Blogger Jasmine said...

Haha...you southerners make me laugh! Man oh man, I really must've underestimated the power of Sonic Burgers!! :)
Shy, I'm a happily married woman, so I have no idea what you're talking about ;)

1:19 PM  
Blogger Shane said...

the 12th thing:
"Had the alamo had a backdoor, there wouldn't be a texas". Actually texas I imagine changes quite a bit since its so big geographically...I live in southwestern texas, they dont drive the speedlimit and usually is them driving in the shoulder :) great pics, like the blog.

-Shane

2:58 PM  
Anonymous Tracy said...

I was born and raised in Texas, and have spent all of my life here except for the four years we moved to CA for my husband's career. It always cracks me up that people think that everyone in TX wears cowboy boots and a cowboy hat! Yes, Sonic is good...but not as good as In-n-Out! You are right about the trucks...and SUVs...and Ford and Chevy...pretty much everyone drives one. No, we don't drive as crazy as CA drivers and yes we say ma'am and sir. Yes, everything is bigger in TX and we are proud to be American. Don't mess with Texas! :)

8:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home