Friday, October 13, 2006

The Moth

As we drove along Westwood’s Veteran Avenue last night, I became a bit nauseous. I’ve heard of this happening before. When my mom was diagnosed with cancer, I read extensively about the side effects of chemotherapy. I’ll never forget reading about a woman who underwent intensive chemo and hated every minute of it. Four years later, as she was shopping in the grocery store, she saw the doctor who administered the chemo and immediately vomited in the aisle. The article cited some psychological explanation, but what it really boiled down to was the association of sights and emotions. The doctor = chemotherapy.

As we drove down Veteran, just before Sunset Boulevard, I rolled down my window to get some fresh air. There it is, JD said pointing to the studio I lived in during law school. I sighed deeply. Westwood, CA = Law School. My sister, who was sitting in the back seat, asked if I regret not being in school. In the twinkling of an eye, I unabashedly said no. I love my life. I love the decisions I made and I’m so much happier than I could have ever been as a lawyer. Ever.

We were on our way to UCLA’s Royce Hall to watch The Moth, which is a series of true stories presented by writers, actors, and artists. I can’t even begin to describe how great the show was. The tour kicked off in LA, but will be in cities around the US. The stories were heartbreaking, thought-provoking, and provocative and the audience was able to connect with presenters like Margaret Cho and Run DMC on a whole new level. I would highly encourage people to see this show if given the opportunity.

On our way back to the 405 freeway, we passed the famous Bel Air gateway I used to pass every morning on my daily run. I could almost hear the way the red clay from the path would crunch underneath the weight of my rubber soles and the smell of the eucalyptus trees overhead. And while those images conjure fond memories, I was happy knowing that I wasn’t returning to my studio on Veteran Avenue…I was going home. With my husband. With my camera. And I couldn’t be happier.






This is a picture of me and Cindy Chupack, author of The Between Boyfriends Book. She delivered my favorite story of the evening...she was absolutely phenomenal. Because I've lived in LA, I'm not usually starstruck--afterall, they stand in line at Starbucks in front of you (except they order the non-fat drink, no whipped cream) and shop along side you at Whole Foods (except they buy only distilled water and something non-carbish). But for some reason, when Cindy walked out from behind the stage during intermission, I approached her and must've looked like I was speaking in tongues, like I created the Tower of Babel myself. I'm sure I told her how moving her story was and how much I enjoy her work, but I could be wrong. I could have also have said I like orange zebras in tutus. I don't really remember, but the good thing was that JD was there to take this picture. That's what I love about the guy...he always has my back!

3 Comments:

Blogger kaitlin said...

Jasmine,
I didn't know you had gone to law school! You're such an awesome photographer...I'm glad you share your talents with everyone :)

8:20 PM  
Blogger abcdef said...

Love your new banner! That's even better than the last one.

3:56 PM  
Blogger Jasmine said...

Kaitlin...yup, I'm a Bruin at heart...but the I think the legal world is better off witout me! :)

Crystal, thanks for the feedback. I couple people mentioned not being fans of the first masthead, but when my mom called and said she didn't like it, I knew I it was time for a change! Moms rule :)

7:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home