Thursday, September 28, 2006

The First Year

It’s really hard for me to believe that a year ago this morning, I was running along the Hawaiian shore, just off Diamond Head. At the end of my run, I stopped by the gazebo where I was to wed later that day. The sun was peeking over the ocean and the sky was streaked with orange, purple, and blue; like God dipped an oversized paintbrush on a mixed palette and streaked the sky just for me.

As luck would have it, my mom—an early riser—snuck up behind me. Her coffee cup sent miniature smoke signals as she leaned over to hug me. We both stared at each other and cried. Happy tears. We knew that the day would mark the first of many new changes in my life, but I doubt we fully comprehended the person I would become.

This past year has been the sweetest I can remember. Ever. And most of it has to do with my beautiful husband. He has been my coach, cheerleader, financial advisor, chef, housekeeper, chauffer, nurse, confidant, dream catcher, and best friend. When I cry, it’s his shoulder I rest upon. When I want to give up, it’s his back I ride the rest of the way. When I laugh, it’s his eyes I look into. When I’m angry, it’s his hands that rub away the venom. Without him, there’s no me.

Happy Anniversary, JD! You make me want to be a better person. You make me want to wake up in the morning and try again. You make me want to reach out and make a difference. You make me want to sprinkle the love we share on those around us. You make me want to be a better person. 143.


Picture by David Jay

11 Comments:

Blogger Sarah Barlow said...

Oh!! Jasmine! I almost cried reading this!! What an amazing couple you and JD are! Wow! Congratulations!!!
....and wow! I was just looking at some of your last posts and pictures and you have grown SOOOOO much in the last year it is incredible!!! :)

1:41 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Happy anniversary to you both! That was such incredible writing, I had to read it a couple of times! Very inspiring!!!

2:21 PM  
Blogger || davidjay || said...

Happy Anniversary! You guys are amazing!!!!!

2:26 PM  
Blogger Shyla said...

You both are such an inspiration to me!!! I have told you a gazillion times and I'll say it again... You two ar my favorite!!! You guys give me something to look forward to!! :)

8:47 PM  
Blogger Jessica C. Moritz said...

*sniff* *Sniff*, feel all emotional now. I wish you two all the best in the world. You truly are an amazing, loving couple! Happy anniversay!

4:50 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

what a beautiful story! congrats and happy anniversary!

7:30 AM  
Blogger A Precious Moment Photography said...

Happy anniversary! You both are amazing! I wish you both many more happy memories!!

10:37 AM  
Blogger Liana said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY my friends!! Muaaah!! Much luv :)

11:29 AM  
Blogger Cameron Ingalls said...

YOU ARE SO COOL!
Thanks for the encouragement through just sharing your heart. You and JD have something very amazing; a friendship. Happy Anniversary to the both of you and may God bless your years with dreams and adventures and romance and laughter and tears......
You make me less afraid of marriage. ;)

1:52 PM  
Blogger Tim Co. said...

happy anniversary guys! it was so aweome hanging out with you guys the other day, you make such a great couple!

im with cameron too - seriously, there will be a Mrs. Co in the future soley because of you and JD lol!

3:10 AM  
Blogger Holritz Photography said...

Wow! I hate that I'm late posting, but CONGRATULATIONS!!!

10:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home