Monday, September 18, 2006

Barstow

Barstow, California. There’s nothing too much there. It’s literally a sleepy town smack in the middle of Los Angeles and Las Vegas, tucked away in Death Valley. If my eyes could write what they see driving from one destination to the other, it would be as follows: Nothing…Nothing….Nothing…Barstow…Nothing…Nothing…Nothing. JD insists he can see moutain terrain and dusty beauty, but, really, it's just a lot of reddish clay.

No offense to its residents, but I’ve always disliked Barstow. I mean, it’s a good pit stop to get gas and refill my Perrier, but not too much else. I’ve been to Barstow many a time and the only good thing I can say about the city is this: It has one rockin’ McDonalds. I mean, I hate fast food. Hate it. Never eat fast food unless it’s my only option. In Barstow, fast food is the only option. So I eat at McDonalds (garden salad and Oreo McFlurry in case you’re wondering). But this isn’t just any McDonalds. No, my friends, this is a nicely perched Golden Arches INSIDE a train. Yes, as in locomotive. I can see it from the freeway and, while I try to scowl while driving off the freeway, the sign brings a smile to my face. I guess the idea of eating in a caboose can do that to me.

But other than the railroad/McFlurry euphoria, there’s not too much to Barstow.

Which brings me to today. As JD and I were walking off the tennis court this evening, we took a seat and passed a water bottle back and forth. We started talking about our anniversary and what JD had planned.

I’ve been meaning to talk to you about that, Jaz.

This did not sound good. In fact, I’m pretty sure it meant only bad things. Sure, I realize our anniversary lands on a Thursday, and, sure, I realize JD isn’t going to plan a random trip to Paris, but this didn’t sound good. I came to discover that he landed an awesome account and in order to solidify the contract, a meeting will must be held on the 28th (i.e. our anniversary). JD apologized profusely, but I assured him it was fine. He suggested we drive to the meeting together. Afterward, we’d make a day of it.

Sure, sounds great…where’s the meeting, I asked. I secretly hoped he’d say Mission Viejo so he could drop me off at Burke Williams Day Spa for a pre-anniversary massage. But, no. He said the city that has become the bane of my existence: Barstow.

I suppose he saw the disappointment because he slung his arm around my neck and apologized again. It’s totally cool, I muttered under the weight of his embrace. He didn’t have to hear me say the words. I know JD knows I’d rather be in Barstow with him than with anyone else, anywhere else in the world.

I suppose this is what it means to love someone. Really love someone. To sacrifice of oneself and be totally and completely okay with it.

If you happen to be driving along the 15 freeway on the 28th, make sure and take a good look into the caboose. I’m sure you’ll see me and JD sharing a McFlurry…and loving every bite…together.

**The pictures were not taken by me...but you can thank Google Images for those lovely illustrations**

5 Comments:

Blogger Brett Austin said...

Seeing as how I grew up in Vegas... had family, went to school, and now live in SoCal... I've probably been through Barstow between 75-100 times over my grand 27 years.

And I must say that you've summed it up quite well... it really is only a pitstop or a place to slow down from 80 MPH to 65 MPH!!

And as funny as it sounds... I might be cruising back through little ol' Barstow on the 28th!! I'm headed home this weekend for an extended visit. Who knows!!

11:42 PM  
Blogger DrewB said...

Aren't there at least some outlet stores in Barstow :)

BTW, your anniversary is on my Dad's birthday!

3:14 PM  
Blogger Jasmine said...

Hahaha! Brett, make sure you wave as you pass us by! :) hehe

Drew, all good things happen on the 28th! ;)

7:19 PM  
Blogger Sara France Photography said...

Too cute!

2:20 AM  
Blogger A Precious Moment Photography said...

you know the way to my heart! -Ryan (Locomotive Engineer)

5:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home