Saturday, September 16, 2006

Alignment

Maybe I’ll get a free alignment.
Don’t be silly, JD said.
I’m not…I mean, wouldn’t that be great?
Yes, that would be great, but you’re being impractical, JD insisted.

As I made my way to the Chiropractic Sanctuary in Irvine, I dreamed of how lovely it would be to have my spine aligned and the knots that line my neck worked out. There’s nothing like laying on my stomach and feeling the pressure of knowing hands knead my back. My bones would then respond with a cacophony of cracks and muffled spinal sighs.

Snap out of it, I told myself. I was going to the Chiropractic Sanctuary to shoot, not for an alignment. Dr. Liz contacted and commissioned me to shoot her clinic because she’s having her website designed and needed images to complete the feel she wanted. That’s where I came in. I paced her clinic while she and her partner, Christine, work on patients with an ease and elite sense of professionalism. I was jealous. I wanted to be kneaded. To be cracked. I wanted my spine to sigh. Snap out of it, I reminded myself.

As I finished the shoot and began packing my camera away, she proposed what I thought sounded summer rain tip-toe on hot pavement: Jasmine, would you like to be aligned?

I’m sure I tried acting modest and unknowing, but I was just shy of sprinting into a room on pouncing on a chiropractic bed. So, I laid on my back and Dr. Liz, with her knowing hands, kneaded my back. And my bones responded with a cacophony of cracks and muffled spinal sighs.

Here are a few from the shoot…
The clinic also specializes in acupucture!


Dr. Liz looking quite dapper


A reflection Dr. Liz and Dr. Christine

5 Comments:

Blogger abcdef said...

Jasmine, these images speak a thousand words, and they are so beautiful. I love the ones with the hands. Also thanks for the blog about Failing Forward. I started reading this book this weekend. I love it! Did you get the email I sent you? I've had some trouble getting emails through, and didn't hear from you so I wasn't sure if you got it. Again, great work.

6:50 AM  
Blogger Jasmine said...

HI Crystal...I've been having some technical issue with my email and laptop, so forgive me if I'm missing something. I'm having my computer worked on--again--today, so I'll be sure to check again :)

7:41 AM  
Blogger Liana said...

Ah u just made me want to be kneaded and cracked too!!! Hehe. Great pics!! Especially luv the last three :) Hope your computer's trip to the "dr" goes well too!!! muaaah

3:29 PM  
Blogger c r y s t a l said...

haha! I'm with Liana! I totally want to go get aligned now! Hmmm....I'll just have to wait till the morning! It's been about 5 days since I've been to my chiropractor.....that's 4 days too long! haahha!!

Great images!! I know she will be super pleased!

5:22 PM  
Blogger Davina said...

I've heard about your writing style from other photographers and had to check it out. I'm hooked...and I want to get my back kneaded!

9:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home