Thursday, October 05, 2006

Antithesis

I have not been a fun girl lately. I quite preoccupied with, well, things. I can’t quite put into words what exactly is robbing my time, but I feel it weighing heavily on my chest. As a kid, I’d make fun of my mom and insist she was stressing out about nothing—a.k.a. ‘things’. I’d fling my arms out wide, dangle my wrists, tilt my head, and begin spinning in circles on a pivot foot. I’d raise my voice and imitate her favorite phrase: I just wish I had an extra hour in my day! This past week, I shocked myself when I uttered those exact words to JD. In a nanosecond, I had morphed into my mother. I immediately thought back to my childhood spinning routine and decided to take a step back and reeeeelax.

Most of why I feel overwhelmed is because I’m trying to organize images for my website. I was really amped to start this project, but when I sat down, I realized I had over 15,000 images to sift through! All of a sudden, I had the urge to breathe repetitively into a brown bag.

The story behind my website creation is quite awesome, so I need to remember to be thankful for such an amazing blessing. Essentially, I needed to fold the proverbial brown bag and get my groove on. I had be struggling for SO long trying to get a website together and pursued a plethora of avenues, but nothing seemed to fit. Shopping for a website was like shopping at a Sample Shoe Sale—the Manolo’s were taken and the tacky glitter and rhinestone platforms were left in their place.

I had expressed my frustration with my friends and while they all offered great advice, it wasn’t until I had dinner with a fellow photographer that things started looking bright. She had a custom site she was no longer using, so if I made basic changes and swapped out pictures, the site was mine. I was so ecstatic I could’ve done a jig. Perhaps I did ;)

So that’s the story. That’s why there’s not a need for me to spin around with a brown bag attached to my lips. I’ve been blessed and for me to become stressed is antithesis of how I should react. Today I’ll be sitting and editing my pictures…and having fun.

7 Comments:

Blogger Michael Norwood said...

I can't wait to see the new site!

11:04 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

Oh, I love new sites! There are so many ways to do things. Maybe you should sort out your images by categories like details, ceremonies, receptions, dances, etc. to help divide and conquer the massive 15000 image project (just a thought). Cant wait to see what you have come up with! You Rock Jasmine!

11:51 AM  
Blogger alejandra said...

Hi Jasmine,

I'm looking forward to visiting your new website.

I really admire how hard you work.

12:12 PM  
Blogger Jasmine said...

Thanks for the encouragement!
Mike, I think that's a great idea...I inadvertantly started this way, so great minds think alike ;)

12:53 PM  
Blogger Liana said...

Oh I'm so glad all of JazzyStar's stars are lining up :) ;) I know how much of a headache it's been for you and I'm sure it'll be fab whatever the results are!! I mean fab is passed down thru templates ;) LOL. Anyways can't wait till next week - may we pull out the brown bags and spin on our heels together. hehe.

9:10 PM  
Blogger Tim Co. said...

I have so much anticipation, its gonna be awesome! I admire and emphathize with your search for the perfect site....sorting images is one of the more difficult parts. I will revisit this post as I continue to sort through images to complete my new site to remind me that i'm not alone lol...

I wish I could outsource sorting close to 100,000 images from the massive archive i've built :-)!

Can't wait to see ya again!

2:15 AM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Thanks for the reminder of balance and perspective... enjoying the journey. At least that's what I heard. This is a message I need every day right now. Thanks!

6:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home