Monday, October 23, 2006

Aqua Blue

When I was ten years old, I begged my mom for a Tony Little workout video. I had seen his informercial early one Saturday morning and firmly believed that he was, in fact, going to make my chubby legs thin. I envisioned myself prancing the streets in aqua blue spandex (gimme a break, it was the 80s!) and LA Gear hightops feeling oh-so-lean. I beckoned her to the television where we sat mesmerized by the mullet-haired body builder promising us a trimmer future. So we ordered not one video, but the entire set. Aqua blue spandex here I come!

When the video arrived, I crunched, twisted and squatted in hopes of being the next Cindy Crawford…I just needed a way to replicate her infamous mole. After a week of intense work, my buns weren’t feeling like steal. However, I realized something more important: it wasn’t until I took a step back and surveyed myself when I was able to make the appropriate changes to help me achieve my goal.

So, I suppose I’ve recently had another Tony Little experience. No, I didn’t buy his newest work-out invention, but I did step back and take a good hard look at myself…and my photographic work. I’ve been editing pictures for my website and seeing image after image has opened my eyes to my flaws and short-comings. Things I need to work on. Ways to see a moment from a different perspective. Things I have to change in order to take my work to another level.

I was somewhat bummed seeing that I was falling into the same patterns wedding after wedding, but JD reminded me—in a somewhat clichéd, yet poignant way—that it’s not about the destination, but, rather, about the journey.

The good news is that my site is almost complete and this alone makes me want to put on a pair of aqua blue spandex and run around. But don’t worry, I spare my neighbors the agony ;)

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

Great perspective on growth Jasmine! I need to be doing this same thing as I go through my own shots, thanks for the inspiration!!

10:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jasmine! I just read your previous post and realized another reason why we clicked - we're both PKs! :)

12:41 AM  
Blogger alejandra said...

Hi Jasmine!

Thanks for the 80's flashback.

I CANNOT wait to see your new website. It's going to be great, I'm sure.

10:14 AM  
Blogger Jasmine said...

Mike, you're too sweet!
Grace, girl, I knew there's some unspoken connection! PKs rule!! :)
Alejandra, thanks for the encouragement...it really helps!

11:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home