Monday, August 14, 2006

Everything's Better Fried

And then I ordered sweet potato soufflé, I blubbered into my cell phone as I recounted my southern dinner to JD.

And potato cakes.
And creamed corn.
Oh, and we started off with Pot Scrapers.
What’s that, JD asked.
It’s collard greens broth served with homemade corn bread, I described

And green beans.
And spiced apples.
And whipped potatoes.
Oh, and I had fried okra!
What’s that, JD asked.
It’s a vegetable eaten here in the South, I explained

And fried tomatoes.
And Liana ordered chicken dumplings.
And Mary Mac’s serves cinnamon rolls BEFORE dinner even starts?!! I’m telling you, JD, this city serves nectar and ambrosia like I’m a demigod.

Wait a minute, JD asked skeptically, are you saying you ORDERED all that?! I thought you were just reading off the menu?!

I laughed at how outlandish it must’ve sound, but it was all true. Liana and I didn’t eat all day, so sitting in the brightly colored room with celebrity pictures covering the walls, made my experience that much better.

One thing I did notice though was that Southerners sure love their food fried. Everything’s better fried. The okra. The corn. The tomatoes and potatoes. I’m sure I could’ve found fried Oreos if I looked hard enough! ;)

I've had a fabulous time here and I can't wait to come back soon.
Here are a few pictures of today...
The Food
















Getting my grub on






















Being a tourist






















Liana and Me

4 Comments:

Blogger c r y s t a l said...

Woohoo! Big shout out to the South! haha! I'm glad you have enjoyed your trip down to our part of the country! :) And I'm soooo glad you enjoyed the food, girl! Next time you come down here you'll have to visit ME!! :) I mean, you do have to try that fried corn on the cob!

The images below are stunning. I cannot wait to see more!! Have a safe trip back home, girl!

9:44 AM  
Blogger Holritz Photography said...

I wish I had realized that you were going to be so close to me :( I hate that we didn't see you!!!!!!!!!

Great fun images!!

love!

amber

5:05 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I know you wrote this eons ago, but I stumbled across this "The Original Jasmine Star Photography Blog", and I'm hooked.

Anyway, I had to laugh when I read the comment at the end of this post about how you "could've found fried Oreos if [you] looked hard enough." We have deep fried Oreos at our state fair in MN. I've had them, and they were DE-LISH!

Thank you so much for being such an inspirational open book!

9:16 PM  
Anonymous Tracy said...

Being a southern girl myself I LOVE southern food, especially fried okra! :) We do have fried Oreos too, although I have never tried one myself.

9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home