Thursday, March 08, 2007

Happy Birthday, JD!

From last Monday until yesterday, I’ve been walking around our place talking like the boxing announcer from WWF—the one that says Let’s get ready to Ruuummmmmmble!. In a baritone voice, I’d be washing dishes or editing last weekend’s wedding pictures and out of no where, I’d hollar to JD, It’s your Biiiiiirrrrrrrrrrthday Exxxtraaavaaaagaaaanzaaaa! Yesterday was JD’s birthday. And because I think only celebrating the day of his birth is quite limiting, I legislated what I call Biiiiiirrrrrrrrrrthday Exxxtraaavaaaagaaaanzaaaa! to show my appreciation. For three days, I was on my best behavior, treated JD out to dinner every night, let him eat all the sweets he could ever dream of, and didn’t nag him about throwing out the trash. Okay, this last part is a lie. I did nag about the trash, but I did it nicely ;)

I wanted to do something extra special for JD this year. He is the most amazing, selfless, giving, patient, and long-suffering man who has ever graced this earth—okay, maybe Jesus Christ has a leg up, but JD’s at His heels. I know I probably say this way too much on my blog, but, really, I can’t help it. I truly don’t know how we ended up together, but I thank God for having someone like him by my side everyday for the rest of my life.

On Tuesday morning, as I was being extra nice by ironing his shirt in the laundry room, I belted out, It’s your Biiiiiirrrrrrrrrrthday Exxxtraaavaaaagaaaanzaaaa! JD poked his head inside the room and politely said, Jasmine, that’s getting a little annoying already. Undeterred, I looked around at my invisible audience sitting just outside my laundry room boxing ring and said, I can’t be annoying…I’m the one planning your Biiiiiirrrrrrrrrrthday Exxxtraaavaaaagaaaanzaaaa!

I knew I had a little leeway in JD’s annoyance barometer…he knew I had something planned for that evening, but couldn’t figure things out. By the time he got home from work, I was dressed and handed him an outfit as he walked through the doors. He quickly changed and I blindfolded him. Okay, so it wasn’t really a blindfold (it was actually one of my long-sleeved shirts…how ghetto!), but it worked. Little did he realize that I planned for both our families to meet us at one of JD’s favorite restaurants, Wild Fish in Newport Beach. It was a total surprise, so when he saw everyone there to celebrate his birthday, he was moved. No, he was touched. No, let’s be real here…the guy was putty in my hands. JD was so appreciative of my planning the party, he would’ve nominated my canonization there on the spot if he could. I ordered couture cupcakes from Wonderland Bakery, and when he saw them sitting under the bouquet of balloons, he just about melted. Putty, people…the man was sheer putty ;)


As the appetizers were rolled out, I asked the table if I’d be able to say a prayer. As everyone bowed their heads, I tried to begin, but nothing came out. Nothing. All I could do was sit in my chair and cry. All I wanted to do was publicly thank God for such an amazing husband and best friend, but I was so overwhelmed I couldn’t. After a few seconds, I croaked a simple prayer—nothing of the eloquence I had hoped for—but when two people love each other enough, words are often unnecessary.

JD, for everything I tried to say over the past three days but couldn’t, I just want to say Happy Birthday and I Love You.

Labels:

11 Comments:

Blogger Paige Kearin said...

Oh that was so nicely written and now I am putty. Sheesh...I feel like I'm going to cry. That's beautiful Jasmine. It's great you know what he likes.

10:49 PM  
Blogger amynave said...

Ok, I'm crying now:) You both are amazing and I'm so glad you found a husband/best friend. I look up to you both:)

Love you guys:)

11:44 PM  
Blogger Melissa Koehler said...

You two are so sweet together. The way you explain things is so eloquent. I am crying reading this entry. Sounds like JD had a great bday.

6:16 AM  
Blogger Amanda Lock said...

What a wonderful entry. Love the picture of you and JD at the end, you both look so wonderfully happy. (And damn, those cupcakes look GOOD!)

9:14 AM  
Blogger Brittany Leigh said...

aww jaz!!! I love it! so precious. I can only pray that Gav and I are as good an example as you two. :)


HAPPY BIRTHDAY JD!

9:48 AM  
Blogger DrewB said...

Happy birthday JD! I have a present for you!

1:25 PM  
Blogger F.E. Castleberry said...

What an awesome wife...I mean really, I think any guy would slay some major dragons for a wife like that! I'm sure he loved it :)

8:44 PM  
Blogger Scarlett Lillian // Jacksonville Senior Photographer said...

Awwww. I know I haven't met JD yet, but I hope he had a wonderful birthday. Your love for each other always inspires me!

9:53 PM  
Blogger anna joy said...

Oh my goodness, that was so adorable. I LOVE the picture of you two at the end. You should make a career out of being on the other side of the camera as well!!

12:25 AM  
Blogger Trista said...

Happy Birthday JD!! Doug and I need to take you out to dinner..oh, you can bring Jassy along too! :-P

1:10 AM  
Blogger Liana said...

You two are soooo cute! Happppy Birthday JD!!!

6:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home