Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Breathe

Sometimes I get so caught up in what I'm doing I forget to breathe.

No, really, I forget to inhale and exhale. When I'm really stressed, or extremely focused, I can probably go minutes without coming up for air, so to speak. As a child, my dad would read to me at night, but he started noticing that if he read Nancy Drew Mysteries without periodically looking at me, I ran the risk of going entire chapter with my breath sucked deep in my lungs. That Nancy, whew, she was something else.

Still to this day, when I'm editing pictures late at night, I force myself to take vicious yoga-style breaths. It seems as of late that I've had quite a few projects to juggle...and juggling requires a keen sense of focus. And when I'm focused, I forget breathe. Sure, you may think that not breathing for two minutes is near to impossible, but, World, Meet My Lungs.

Yesterday, I received a small black box in the mail. I opened it to find a small gift and a note that read: Love, Mama and Dad


This was their reminder that come what may, I'm blessed and I need to remember to breathe. To take a deep breath and enjoy the smell of wet pavement, the smell of fresh laundry, and the smell of JD's nightly obsession with homemade chocolate chip cookies. I encourage you to do the same today :)

Labels:

12 Comments:

Blogger 6 of Four Creations said...

This is so true. Lately, I've noticed that I'm taking shallow breaths and having to really try to get a deep breath...Oh anxiety and stress don't help. While working hard and trying to buy a new home...it brings me to a place that makes me know exactly how you feel. Hang in there.

12:15 PM  
Blogger Jenn Regruth said...

Sound life advice. :) Thanks for the reminder.

1:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great advice. If only everyone would take a few minutes to just breathe a few times a day, the world would be a lot more relaxed of a place.

Keep up the great work!

1:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what touched me the most bout this post is your Mama & Dad~
they just know dont they!

4:31 PM  
Blogger amynave said...

So true girly:)

With that said I'm closing the computer and headed to my kickboxing class that I love:) LOL

5:17 PM  
Blogger Scarlett Lillian // Jacksonville Senior Photographer said...

Wow, you have been busy! No wonder you don't have time to breathe. That was a great blog entry. I needed that simple reminder too. I barely have time to shower these days let alone breathe. ha! Thanks for always being an inspiration to us girl!

7:43 PM  
Blogger Lauren Hillary~Photographic Artist said...

Me Too! Sometimes i am not taking breathes for minutes at a time. Jason makes fun of me when i finally do take a breathe because it is so loud!
we should hang post its everywhere to remind us!

12:50 AM  
Blogger swan said...

How cool to have clever parents. Thanks for sharing.

3:46 PM  
Blogger c r y s t a l said...

With as many deep breaths as I have to take these days as my diaphragm is getting squished more and more - I am not really "breathing"......thanks for this post! I needed it!

Love and miss you, dear!

8:56 PM  
Blogger Melissa Koehler said...

So true! I forget to breathe when I am focusing on things too, it's weird. Hope your projects go well.

6:18 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You make me so happy.

Long distance hugs from me to you.

love

a

10:18 PM  
Blogger MPH Photography said...

Thanks for reminding me to breath, i often forget, especially when editing, glad I'm not the only one. I will try to remember to breath more often,lol.

Just wanted to say thanks again, i just spent the last few hours reading old posts on your blog and can't seem to tear myself away, so thanks for keeping me up late, and for the bags I'll have in the morning,lol. It's past midnight and I have 2 shoots this weekend, sessions to edit, orders to get too, and yet here I sit, mesmerized, zoned out and even the muffled noises coming from my hubby and his friends talking about whatever men talk about can not pull me away, your life is like a danielle steel novel. Thanks for sharing it with us common folk,lol, I've learned much from you today!

Hugs
Manuella

9:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home