Friday, March 02, 2007

Get Inspired

For our one-year wedding anniversary, I was all about practicality. It made me feel eighty-something. Like I slept with croutons under my bed and watered my Chia pet every morning. But JD didn’t mind. In fact, he was the happiest I’d seen him in a while…then again, he’s also the type of guy who’d find joy in celebrating his upcoming birthday at Sizzler. He’s like that.

I got him a new wallet, a tie, some other odds and ends, and…a year-long subscription to National Geographic Magazine. Like I said, I felt eighty-something. I carefully wrapped the magazine and crafted a homemade certificate stating he’d be receiving a yellow-rimmed glossy every month. Upon opening it, he stood in shock. Like the type of shocked face the first time you stuck your finger in an electrical socket (or maybe that was just me?). He stood dumbfounded at the side of our bed and then—like magic—sunbeams radiated from his scruffy face. The man was elated beyond belief.


I didn’t understand the big deal. I mean, com’on…it’s just pictures of elephants and scantily clad children bathing in streams, right?

Every month, when the magazine arrives, JD acts infantile. Drooling over pages of pictures and articles…and elephants. There always seems to be elephants. He tries to tell me about the feature article in detail, but I seem to lose him after, So…

Last night, I made and ate dinner by myself because JD had to work late. On our table was nothing more than the latest issue of National Geographic. I opened the magazine and began poring over the pages. It was amazing…breath-taking, really. The pictures…the people…the stories…everything. How I lived my life for so long not drooling over this magazine is beyond me. Yes, people, I’ve Neanderthalically realized there is more to photographic inspiration than Vogue, W, and Rolling Stone. By the time I finished the magazine, I was totally and completely inspired. Truly and soulfully inspired.

This post isn’t about a magazine, nor is it about how my husband is always right (even though I’ll never admit this!). It’s about finding something that rocks your world. Finding that thing that makes you want to pick up your camera and capture life as you see it…life as it unfolds. By doing so, you’ll shape and define your beliefs and those of people around you.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger Emily DeWan Photography said...

There really is something magical about National Geographic. I totally understand why people (such as my dad) keep years and years of magazines filling up an entire shelf.

Croutons under the bed? Confused...

7:46 PM  
Blogger swan said...

You saying I should stop watering my Chia pet?

Thanks for keeping us thinking...

K

7:59 PM  
Blogger Jasmine said...

Hmmm, Emily...allow me to clarify. When I was about eight, I read a story about a set of grandparents who lived through the Depression and kept random food hidden around their home. And they kept croutons under their bed. For some reason, this has stuck with me all these years?! I know it's strange, but when I think of growing old, I think of croutons :)

8:29 PM  
Blogger Melissa Koehler said...

Ok, your bit about croutons is seriously making me laugh! You are too funny. My husband subscribes to National Geographic and I have yet to open the pages. I will go get the latest copy and peruse the pages. Thanks for the inspiration!

8:46 PM  
Blogger Scarlett Lillian // Jacksonville Senior Photographer said...

God has truly given you, Jasmine, a gift at inspiring others. Keep up the great work!

1:46 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It's you Jas... It's this blog.

That's what keeps me inspired.

loves.

a

12:46 AM  
Blogger 6 of Four Creations said...

Wonderfully written as usual. You are amazin'!

9:00 AM  
Blogger Hanagraphie said...

I'm with JD... I Love NG! ;)

4:45 PM  
Blogger F.E. Castleberry said...

Hi,

Fred Egan here. We haven't met but I've begun making the rounds on your blog. Great insight in this post...I love discovering those things that rock your our worlds.

11:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home