Saturday, January 27, 2007

Playing Catch...Up

Not too many people know this, but I was an awesome tee-ball player. Like Big League awesome. And I don’t take pride in too may things…but tee-ball…well, that’s a whole other world. I was taller—and wider—than most of the other seven-year-old boys trying out, and while it might have seemed like I should have been a sought after player, I wasn’t. Because I was a girl. My sister and I were the sole female prospects in the league and we were somewhat overlooked during draft time. An All-American pariah, if you will.

We were drafted into a Bad News Bear-ish team coached by our neighbor. After a few practices, a dreadful team picture, and a couple games, I started to get the hang of smacking the ball over the fence. Every.single.time.at.bat. Between myself, my sister, and this amazing shortstop named Hayden, we took our team to the championship. On trophy day, the league commissioners announced the players who made the All-Star Team. When my name wasn’t called, I was broken-hearted. I went home and played catch with my dad every day for a week and then laid my Big League dreams to rest.

To this day, the only catch I play is catch-up. This afternoon was one such day. Not too long ago, I wrote an autobiographical book based on my father’s life. Since then, I’ve worked on various writing projects, but have slowed considerably now that photography is my main focus. I haven’t accepted new writing commissions in a while, but not too long ago, I decided to work on a new project with a friend writing another autobiographical book. I’m SO excited, but also nervous because writing a book takes a LOT of time, effort, and love. I just finished Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott, which is a great read if you’re interested in learning how to write better. It’s practical, funny, and a fantastic read. I’m currently reading On Beauty by Zadie Smith because in order to write, one must read. And oh is this book so beautifully written. I’ve been a fan of Smith’s for a while now, so getting to read her latest book is a true luxury.

So, today was filled with reading and writing. And playing catch…up. When I think about it, not making the All-Star Team was a good thing. I mean, I could’ve been a catcher playing for the Angels instead of doing what I really love ;)

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger swan said...

Jasmine,

I knew there was a reason I was drawn to you (apart from being beautiful and a great photographer, I mean)--you're a writer!

One of my favorite books is "On Writing Well," by William Zinsser. (http://www.amazon.com/Writing-Well-25th-Anniversary-Nonfiction/dp/0060006641). I'm sure you're aware of it, and have likely read it, but it inspired me.

I'm currently reading, "Sin and Syntax: How to Craft Wickedly Effective Prose," by Constance Hale. She has a sharp wit and a deep intelligence; the book's been fun so far.

Writing is my true love. Generating something from nothing is far more challenging (and rewarding!) than interpreting something that already exists (like photography). I hope you keep it up.

I'm so glad to note that you understand how to use hyphens (one of the tougher punctuation marks to master). Most folk wouldn't think to say all-star team, all-American pariah, or tee-ball player. Though I might have done Big-League Awesome. :)

You also follow Strunk and White (heroes of mine) on using 3 commas instead of 2 in a list (red, white, and blue vs. red, white and blue). Kuddos!

I'll definitely be paying more attention to your blog from here on out.

BTW, if you can spare a moment to edit your post, you said, "When I think about it, maybe making the All-Star Team..." and I'm pretty sure you meant to say "...not making..." :)

8:28 AM  
Blogger Jasmine said...

Kevin...you rock. And thanks for the correction! Sometimes my thoughts come faster than my small fingers can type. Small fingers. Yup, I would've stunk at baseball anyway with hands like mine :)

8:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i would love to see a tee-ball photo.

we have been commisioned to shoot some teams here in AZ and there was a team who had the best player be a girl. the boys hated it!!! i loved it.

7:41 PM  
Blogger A Precious Moment Photography said...

Wow Jasmine! Now I can say I know a writer. I too need to play catch. I think I have a book shelf of books that I want to finish! I admire the way you write. You are awesome!!!. All though I only met you once, I feel I know you because I like to come to your blog and check out what you wrote.

9:21 PM  
Blogger Scarlett Lillian // Jacksonville Senior Photographer said...

Oh my gosh, I knew you were an awesome writer but I had no clue you were a PUBLISHED writer! Look at you already out with a few books! You continue to amaze me sweet Jasmine!

9:12 PM  
Anonymous Wedding Photography Essex said...

Not just a pretty face eh! a woman of many talents!

11:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home