Wednesday, December 06, 2006

The Benefits of Worry

I’ve been struggling with something lately. I can’t help it. Anyone who knows me well can tell you I’m a worrier. I worry about paying my bills online in a timely manner, then I worry about the Internet hackers who are going to steal my identity, then I worry about my tainted credit, then I worry about never being able to buy a house again, then I worry about living out of my car, then I worry about gas prices, then I worry about the US-Middle East Peace Talks, then I worry about nuclear threats…can you see where this is going? I know. Please don’t take the time to tell me I’m walking a thin line between genius and crazy. Because my mother’s already told me a thousand times I’m a genius.

So, lately, having the strange urge to worry about something, I began to worry that something will happen to preclude me from doing what I’m doing with my life. I can’t think of a time where I’ve been happier and more content, and I owe most of it to the amazing people who’ve allowed me to photograph them. Photography has opened so many doors and it’s as if my dreams were crafted for this specific cookie-cutter.

Yesterday, as I sat in traffic along the congested 5 freeway coming from Newport Beach, I reflected on what an awesome day I had. Then I worried. What if I fail? What if the publishers don’t like my work? What if my work reads like hieroglyphics? What if I’m struck with writer’s block?

You see, I had a meeting for an upcoming project I’m working on for a bridal magazine and, as I sat at the circular glass table surrounded by images of gorgeous wedding dresses, I couldn’t help but feel so blessed. This project is allowing me to combine my love for writing and fashion…and photography. I’m working with New York based photographer who shot Fashion Week for publication, so I’ll be keeping everyone posted when the magazine is available.



As I sat in traffic on my way home, my worries were just about to reach their pinnacle (What if I forget how to spell?!?), then JD called. He wanted to know what he should make for dinner, but ended up walking me away from the ledge of psychosis (Jasmine, if you forget to spell, you can run a Spell Check or use a good ‘ole fashion dictionary).

So the moral of the story is to always worry. I mean, the benefits are obvious: Your mother labels you a genius, your spouse will offer soothing words, and you’ll have a warm dinner waiting for you when you get home ;)

Here are a few from my day...

The main purpose of the article is to define brides into seven different categories and proffer the perfect stylist choice of wedding dress...

There were so many different designers represented, but I have to admit that Melissa Sweet and Reem Acra's collections were just stunning...

Labels:

11 Comments:

Blogger c r y s t a l said...

Jasmine, I always find myself in awe of your tremendous talents, eloquence, and humility. I am sure that you did a fantastic job, and I cannot imagine you failing in ANY way anytime soon.

I have spent a bit of time catching up on your blog. You're seriously doing some GREAT stuff!! And I love the Christmas tree!!! :) I am sad...this is the first year EVER that I have not had a Christmas tree. I just have not had the time or ENERGY to decorate this year. This child is draining me!!! :) So anytime I need to that warm, gushy feeling that Christmas decorations tend to give me I will just look at your blog. ;)

I miss you tons!!! I would love to catch up soon!

9:12 PM  
Blogger c r y s t a l said...

Oh my goodness! And congratulations on the house! I'm so excited that you guys decided to go ahead and do it! What a leap of faith - and it looks like a wise decision. So happy for you!!

9:14 PM  
Blogger abcdef said...

I don't feel so bad now. I thought I was the only one that worried about stuff like that. :) Jasmine, your work speaks volumes. You are not gonna fail, you are going to the top, girl! You have a wonderful and supportive husband, family and group of friends. Congratulations on your house btw!

6:38 AM  
Blogger Shyla said...

I admit... I am NOT suprised you have this opportunity! ;)
You my dear are destined for GREAT things... and this opportunity is simply a drop in the bucket of what is to come.
No need to worry though because you've got the midas touch so everything you put your hand ( or pen) to will be a sucess!

;)
xoxo

4:38 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I was looking at your blog you are an awesome photographer. And how cool is it that you get to hangout with other awesome photographers. like Mike Colon, David Jay Just to name a few.
Sweeeeet!!

4:50 PM  
Blogger amynave said...

Very exciting Jasmine. Keep me posted on how it goes. You'll turn heads forsure:)

P.S. Are we related because I worry a lot too:)

11:21 PM  
Blogger Jessica C. Moritz said...

OMG Jasmine!!!! You cannot imagine how excited I am for you! I knew you were going to start writing. YOU are talented in many many ways!!! Can't wait to see the finnished article!
Jess

12:30 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

You are seriously talented Jasmine!! Worry is just a way of watching your backside so you dont get derailed! Good luck on your project, cant wait to see how it turns out!!!

9:18 AM  
Blogger BD said...

I just get told to let it go...

12:39 PM  
Anonymous Tracy said...

I guess all that worry was for nothing :) I am a worrier too!

9:19 AM  
Anonymous Colchester Wedding Photography said...

I love the way that you can so freely talk about and share your feelings

4:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home