Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Oh so sweet

I walked into my parents’ home and the smells of stir-fry ushered me in. I love visiting my family. We’re extraordinarily close and although there are sometimes knots, the ties the bond us are unbreakable. And knots can be unknotted.

My mother has been very ill for the past six years. She battled two rare forms for cancer for three years ago, and still hasn’t fully recovered. The doctors claim Cancer packed his bags and left, but he left a mess in his place. The mess, we just discovered, has taken the form of relapsing polychrondritis. To which, there is no cure.

My mom is taking matters into her own hands…and God’s. Last week—after reading up extensively on the issue—she decided to lead a strict vegan lifestyle. She pledged for the next two months to detox her body, eating only natural foods.

Hence, the stir-fry. Fresh bok choy and snow peas littered the kitchen counter and a pot of bhasmati rice simmered softly. Last night the family decided to join my mother in a homemade vegan meal in support of her decision. Plates of moo-shu tofu and mushrooms were passed around the table, but my brother passed on every option. He opted for peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Which, by the way, is the only thing a 15-year-old boy can make.

We held hands and prayed for our food, and my mother’s health.

I had a surprise for everyone. I just finished editing my wedding pictures from my first wedding (I’m telling you, I’ve been swamped!) and I took my laptop to show everyone my work. I dimmed the lights and set to mood. Lights always set the mood. I flipped open my laptop and let the images float across the screen. Everyone was silent, only asking for the Perrier to be moved from the middle of the table.

At the end, everyone cheered. No, really, they cheered. But that’s my family. They’re loud and opinionated and supportive. So, they cheered. My sisters asked me to be their wedding photographer, which I found peculiar seeing how they aren’t even dating anyone, but I was honored either way.

For dessert, cantaloupe and plums were sliced and nibbled on. The fruit was sweet, but my family is so much sweeter.

3 Comments:

Blogger Eric McCarty said...

I would have considered a PB sandwich natural food--until he put jelly on it. :)

Regarding your recommendation on authors (or lack thereof), I was familiar with none of them. I forgot to mention, I don't read books less than 50 years old. All of my favorite authors go by their initials or pen names.

Maybe I'll pick a fresh one up.

Eric

10:49 AM  
Blogger || davidjay || said...

I'm cheering too!

2:02 AM  
Anonymous Fed said...

I remember reading this month of post about the same time I started to shoot weddings, just hoping I could find a mentor and someone to give me a chance to shoot along side, while that never happened and I just took it upon myself.

I just needed to revisit some old stories on some blog from years ago to remind me why. You story has become so much more to me as i just learned about my mother has stage4 brain cancer. I'm pretty lost and don't know what to do, or if there is anything I can do. Then I remembered when we meet you and JD in Boston and you told you story, even after you must have told it a million times, it still stuck. I'm doing what I do to be able to do what I love in life, be there for my family in times of need, and capture the moments that will live on with people when they need it most. Thank for the stories over the years.

2:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home