Sunday, May 13, 2007

Happy Mother's Day, Mama!

We sat next to each other in church this morning. She proudly sang with her eyes closed, basking in the adoration of her children. I held her right hand tightly and sang in hushed tones. I, apparently, did not inherent her vocal ability…I sing slightly better than my father, who’s sounds like Frosted Flakes’ Tony the Tiger when he sings.

Four years ago to the date, I sat in my car with JD and cried tears of desperation. Long sorrowful wails of one who is losing someone dear. We were buying last minute Mother’s Day gifts—decorative hats and beanies to cover my mother’s chemotherapy balding—but I truly believed it was our last holiday with her. I feared being alone on days like today. Days when children reflect and articulate how thankful they are to the woman who scraped the burned edges of morning toast, kissed band-aid covered fingers, and hid gas money in their wallet when she thought they weren’t looking. I feared never being able to truly show my mother how much I needed her. So I cried long sorrowful wails of one who is losing someone dear.

Today we sat next to each other in church and sang together. I held her tightly and prayed she knew how much I needed—no, how much I need--her. Later, we spent a lazy afternoon with the family enjoying lunch on an outside patio. Every year we make it a point to go around the table and say what we appreciate most about our mother. I try to put to my emotions into words, but I fear I do a lousy job. For everything she’s done for me, I’m thankful. For the woman I am, I’m indebted. For the wife I’ve become, I’m appreciative. And for the child I always desire to be…well, I’m working on that one ;)

Happy Mother’s Day, Mom!

I love you to the moon and back.


Labels:

14 Comments:

Blogger DrewB said...

I've never met your mom, but she sounds like an amazing woman. She must be if she raised such a great daughter :)

8:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AWWWWW!!!!! She's SO cute! :) You two look JUST alike :D Happy Mother's Day!

8:52 PM  
Blogger nicole green said...

this so brought tears to my eyes. :) happy mothers day to your wonderful mom. ;) (and to you too! .. being the mother of your cute little dog and all! haha) <3

8:53 PM  
Blogger Ashley said...

I have tears too! you're blog posts are amazingingly intimate and inspiring :)

8:59 PM  
Blogger Nat said...

Happy, happy mother's day to your mom! I am sure she knows how much you need her because moms know it all without anyone having to say anything!

9:07 PM  
Blogger Mike Larson said...

you are so sweet, nice portrait!

9:08 PM  
Blogger Melissa Koehler said...

Your words are always so touching. Your mama sounds wonderful

9:39 AM  
Blogger Stacy Cross said...

I have tears too. :) Congratulations to your mom on her survivorship! You're both beautiful!

4:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Again - you say it so eloguently. Mom's are the best!

8:59 PM  
Blogger carissa said...

jasmine

wow...what an amazing writer you are...i am sitting here welling up! thank you for sharing not only your photography talents with us, but your ability to put into words things i never could...you are such an inspiration! and your mother is drop dead gorgeous, now i see where you get it!

6:00 PM  
Blogger Kate Benson said...

wow, your mom is GORGEOUS... now I know where you get it from ;-)

7:21 PM  
Blogger Scarlett Lillian // Jacksonville Senior Photographer said...

Awww! Your mom is beautiful! What a wonderful blessing to have her still here with you! God is GOOD!

9:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

u 2 look so happy !!!!!!!

11:40 AM  
Blogger katrina said...

Wow. New to your blog. This is the first post I read. I love the feelings you evoked in me. Especially of endearment for my own mother. Thank you. I love your work.

11:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home