Thursday, May 03, 2007

Meet Ginger

Being a good friend is hard word. Being a good friend to someone who fears her mother is dying is saintly.

I have nothing but fond memories of my undergrad years at Whittier College, most in part to the group of fabulous friends I made. There was a group of about 12 of us who lived together in a college suite and we made our collegiate lives so much more enjoyable and joyful. We still stay in contact with each other—even though most of us have moved from California—so when one of my best friends announced she was planning to visit from her Hawaiian home, the remainder SoCal nucleus gathered together for a night of good food, laughter, and lots of catching up.

Two of my friends in particular, Lauren and Ginger, became pillars during the absolute worst time in my life. My mother was diagnosed with a rare form of brain cancer my junior year of college and it turned my world upside-down, inside-outside, and backwards. I was only 20 years old when my father said we had to start thinking about funeral arrangements. Needless to say, I was in such a state of mourning and inner turmoil…but my friends were always there for me. They came and celebrated my mother’s birthday when she was completely bald and going through horrible chemotherapy and I don’t think I can ever put into words how thankful I was to have them in my life.

When Ginger emailed a few weeks ago and asked if she could stay with me during her visit, I was more than happy to oblige. During her stay, we had an impromptu photo session…I tried my best, but I don’t think I could adequately capture her beautiful spirit and caring soul. I’m so blessed to have such wonderful people in my life at varying stages—who I was, who I am, and who I will become is merely an amalgamation of the imprints my friends have left on my heart.



Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger gabriel ryan said...

it's unique, the bond created amidst such crisis... i know that carlie and i are drawn together with similar strands. and, by the way, i love the frankly serene emotion captured in the first frame.

11:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jasmine would also like to include that Ging is TOTALLY available, EXTREMELY sweet, and INCREDIBLY hilarious.

Yes, I am proffering these images and exploiting this blog in hopes of being the matchmaker... then wedding planner... for our dear friend, Ginger.

All sane, dashingly handsome men, who are employed, can inquire directly through Jasmine.

Matchmaker extraordinaire and best sister in the WORLD,
Bianca

11:24 PM  
Blogger Melissa Koehler said...

Wow! Aren't friends the greatest? Where would we be without them?
What a great friend. I think you did a wonderful job of capturing her inner and outer beauty. :)

7:50 AM  
Blogger Lauri said...

How beautiful! What a blessing it is to have such wonderful friends :-)

8:02 AM  
Blogger Nat said...

She sounds incredible! When you find a friend like that, don't let them go!

You are so blessed to have her in your life as she is blessed to have you in her life!

12:30 PM  
Blogger nicole green said...

aww friend stories are the best. <3 <3 <3

1:04 PM  
Blogger Scarlett Lillian // Jacksonville Senior Photographer said...

You always have a way of making me cry through your writings! :-) Ginger is beautiful!

7:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home