Monday, February 27, 2006

Cloud Nine

Maybe it was being at the Happiest Place on Earth that put an extra bounce in my step. I floated down the Mickey&Friends escalator searching for Mike Colon and twenty other photographers just as excited as the four year old girl behind me. Well, she was excited to meet Minnie, and I was excited to hang out again with some amazing people, but we were both smiling from ear to ear.

There’s about twenty of us, I told the “Tortilla Jo’s” hostess at Downtown Disney. Over salsa, tortilla chips, and queso, we spoke about color settings, personal life, and food preferences. I sat next to Becker ( www.thebecker.com ) and while I tried not to wear my heart my sleeve (which has become a fashion statement in my life lately), I couldn’t help but laugh to myself. As Becker and Jessica Claire ( www.jcsphoto.com ) playfully bantered back and forth, I sipped on my water silently listening to their conversation. Oh, I remember that story. I was about to interrupt his story when I realized he didn’t know me from Adam. I had just officially met Becker the night before at the Mansion Party, so I didn’t have the chance to tell him that I religiously read his blog…and Jessica’s. I wanted to tell them that I loved their work. That I wanted my pictures to one day look like theirs. That soon I’d be able to talk in photoese (a foreign language spoken only by professional photographers). But, instead, I continued sipping my water.

Why haven’t you ever left a comment for me on my blog, Becker asked. I tried explaining that he’s a little intimidating. Upon hearing this, he beamed. Jessica rolled her eyes and told me not to inflate his already enlarged ego. No, I’m being serious, I said. They just laughed and dismissed it, but I couldn’t really let them know how much I envied their ability to work with their cameras so effortlessly.

We left the restaurant and made our way to Disneyland. Thunder Mountain, Materhorn, and Pirates of the Caribbean occupied most of our time. We took pictures as if it was our last day on earth and laughed until our stomachs hurt.

When it was time to leave, I called Melanie.

Hey, Mel, where are you?
Walking down Main Street, why?
I’m on Main Street!
What? Where are you friend?
I’m here by the Disney Bank…yeah, to your left…

Melanie is a professional performer at Disneyland, who also happens to be one of my best friends. We walked out of the exit gates together and decided to grab dinner before she drove back to L.A. for a show she was singing in later that night.

Are you sure you want coconut soup, she asked me. Yes, with tofu, no chicken. She rolled her eyes and ordered my soup, and a confection of other Thai foods. We dipped the fried wontons in the sweet and sour sauce and slurped on the soup and swore we were in a culinary heaven.

Looking back, maybe I was in a sort of heaven. Sure, there were no singing cherubs or pearly gates, but I had such a sense of peace. And happiness. I was floating on Cloud Nine. While I’m not sure the clouds are numbered in heaven, I’m sure I was sitting on cloud number nine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home