Friday, February 10, 2006

Trumpets and Tissue

Not too long ago, I learned of John Locke’s parable about a blind man. The blind man wants to know what the color scarlet is like, so he interviews dozens of people about the color scarlet, thinks a long time about the topic, that, at long last, he victoriously announces that he knows what scarlet is like: “It is like the sound of a trumpet.” I sometimes wonder, am I the blind man? If I’m just reading about photography—via the Internet, books, and museums—without actually experiencing it, maybe I’m hearing false trumpets. Maybe my time would be better spent out in the world, experiencing it.

I’m laying in bed sick today. I find that I think a lot while laying on my back staring at my ceiling. Today my thoughts are freckled with doubt. I try to blow out the doubt into my tissue, but it doesn't seem to work. I wonder if I’ll ever be able to make my goals and ambitions come to fruition. I just want someone to take me by the hand and show me the ropes. I suppose I’m just too scared to go out and do it on my own. How do I begin? Should I just ask people if I could take pictures of them? Is that how others began their craft? Why do I feel I have so many questions and so little answers?

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am crying... you have just given me the biggest confidence boost... like EVAH. This is exactly what my email was about. This is exactly how I feel right now. Jasmine, I freaking love you!! <3 (in a non-creepy way!)

6:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh man I so needed this little post right now. I love photography, I love it so much it hurts. I always feel a little sadness if a day passes without a moment where I've stopped and taken a photo. Thankfully those days are rare.

People tell me to become an apprentice but will I lose my own style while being shaped and told exactly what to do because it's the way THEY do it?
You're wonderful.

10:39 AM  
Anonymous Pamela said...

jasmine- i'm a big fan of yours and i know that this post was written a long time ago but instead of trying to be where you are now, i thought it might be wiser to find out how you got there. i've read your answers to the FAQ but i feel like i've just had a glimpse in your diary.

today, i'm in the same place you were when you wrote this. thank you. it's nice to have the reminder that people aren't handed infinite talent and millions of dollars in equipment.

10:23 AM  
Anonymous Tracy said...

Jasmine, this is where I am now and it is so encouraging to know that you came through it and just look at you now! I can't wait to read the rest of your journey, and find out where mine is taking me as well!

7:18 AM  
Anonymous Chris Johnston said...

I have been having these exact same thoughts. I was out taking pictures of my son at the park today and saw a young couple with a little boy and a baby on the way and thought about approaching them and chickened out. It is so hard to know what to do next and then find the courage to do it.

10:06 PM  
Blogger Kayla F Photography said...

Jasmine...thank you! This post may be 4 years old...and you will probably never see this comment but it is the post I was supposed to read today. I have just begun the process of starting my own business and have spent the last 5 days on the computer just completely freaking out. I don't know where to begin or what to do...and although I still don't know what to do, I at least know I am not the only one. I'm going to go pick up my camera now! Much love and thanks! :)

6:55 AM  
Anonymous Bauhaus Wedding Photography said...

It's definitely tough taking the first big step towards any dream but well worth it.

10:55 PM  
Blogger Holly {among the wildflowers} said...

I love the Lost references....as that is how i am feeling at the moment trying to get my photography going...thought it would be helpful to see someone whose work i admire's start in the business and i am beginning to read your early posts. thanks for the inspiration!! :-)

12:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home