Friday, April 21, 2006

Static Electricity

1986.

I just finished my bowl of tomato soup when LeVar Burton finished his story. Just like every other weekday afternoon, I sat in front of my television and watched Reading Rainbow. I sat in puzzlement and stared quizzically at the fuzzy screen. My mom walked over to adjust the antennae, but it was of no use. I was used to watching programs on our handicap television. Are you having a hard time watching the show, she asked. I replied negatively then asked if we could visit the library. I wanted to learn more about how static worked.

Static, but, why?

I tried explaining that Levar read a story about static electricity and I didn’t really understand. I wanted to, but it just didn’t click. She leaned over and picked up my empty soup bowl and proffered her other hand. I reluctantly locked our fingers and followed her to our kitchen. After depositing the bowl in the sink, we walked over to the dryer. She slowly started sifting through the clean laundry and found what she was in search of: a lonely sock clinging onto a pair of sweatpants.

We walked back to her room and she opened her closet. The closet door was on wheels and made a rumbling sound every time it slid open. Go ahead, she said, get in. I crawled beneath the dress shirts and pant suits and sat on rows of shoes. Then my mother handed me the mismatched pair--the sock and the sweatpants. The closet door rumbled shut and I sat in darkness. My mother’s voice floated in between the cracks of the closet and she told me to unhinge the sock. As I peeled the duo apart, little sparks danced in the darkness.

And just like that, I got it.

I had a static moment yesterday. For so long, I wanted to understand website hosting services, domain names, server space. I wanted to understand it all, but it just didn’t click. But late last night, on the advice and encouragement from a friend, I bought my domain name and server space.

And just like that, I got it. And this time, I didn’t have to sit alone in a dark closet for it to make sense.

2 Comments:

Blogger Shyla said...

oooh....Jazzy, maybe you can help me...send some of that electricity my way!!! I just smile and nod and all that mumbo-jumbo :)

8:24 PM  
Blogger Liana said...

awww... such a cute story...I didn't know you could actually see sparks like that! U need to write another book hon :)

So you DID it!?!?! Yeah!! Can't wait to see it up :)

9:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home