Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Looking Professional

I walked down the produce aisle and haphazardly loaded my shopping cart. Asparagus. Rose potatoes. Basil. My heart and my mind were in a different place. A place 20-minutes away, under a familiar roof and resting in bed. Brussel sprouts. Strawberries. Spinach. As I gingerly placed the bananas atop the carton of eggs, my eyes began to sting. I blinked furiously and bit my lower lip. Not here, I thought to myself, not now.

I wear my heart on my sleeve. And on the leg of my pant. And tied up in between my shoelaces. But there are some places a girl can’t cry, and the grocery store is one of them. I ducked my head into the nearby shitake mushroom cooler and pinched the ducts of my eyes to stop the tears. My fingers, smelling like the vine-ripened tomatoes they touched earlier, acted like beavers and clogged the dam forming at the corners of my eyes.

What I needed more than produce was, and is, the faith to believe that my mother will be cured of her illness.

When I got home, I unloaded my goods and sat with my computer. Editing my pictures lifts my soul, so when I scrolled through a recent engagement session for my best friend, my mood lightened.

Last week, I drove to San Diego to take a few pictures of Brianna and Bashir. They’re both training at the Olympic Training Center, with their eyes on the gold. The gold medal, that is.

We spent the whole day roaming La Jolla and San Diego and lounging in the sun. It was a beautiful day and spending time with my friends (and my camera) couldn’t be better. It took Brianna a few minutes to get used to me snapping pictures behind the camera. Usually, our pictures—with our arms slung around each other and Cheshire smiles—are snapshots with one of us stretching out an arm and taking the picture. However, after popping on my 70-200 lens, I got out of their way and let them have a good time.

Wow, Brianna commented as I crouched on the grass to snap a shot, you really look like a professional. I laughed, but secretly panicked. I hope my pictures echo her sentiments ☺

These pictures are for Bri…who thinks I look like a professional.




3 Comments:

Blogger Tim Co. said...

Wow your work is really awesome, i'm now an official avid fan! Reading your blog is quite awesome too, I love your writting - it really keeps you on the edge of your seat and gets you to think.

7:45 PM  
Blogger Holritz Photography said...

love it!

your blogging is incredible...

amber

8:59 PM  
Blogger c r y s t a l said...

Beautiful work, Jasmine!!! Just beautiful. You are so awesome, girl!!

12:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home