Thursday, July 20, 2006

Road Trippin'

The summer after I finished my freshman year of college, I begged my parents to allow me to fly up to the Bay Area. JD had to move out of his dorm room and drive back to LA for the summer, so we thought we’d make a trip of it. After my relentless pestering, my parents capitulated and bought me a one-way ticket.

We packed JD’s car to the brim and made our way along the coast. We lunched in Carmel and decided last minute to walk along the beach. With sand hidden in the crevices of our toes, we used a box of tissue paper to wipe away the grains and resume our trip south. We drove through the Grapevine and blared “Road Trippin’” by the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

We sang inharmoniously while sticking our arms out the windows:
Road trippin’ with my favorite allies
Fully loaded we got snacks and supplies.
It’s time to leave this place, it’s time to get away.
Let’s go get lost somewhere in the USA…

It’s a trip I’ll never forget.

As luck would have it, JD serendipitously turned on the car radio yesterday and that very song was playing. Seven years later, we were still Road Trippin’ together, but this time we were headed to San Diego to hear DJ lecture about his newest software, work-flow, and his photo lab. The PUG meeting was awesome and DJ delivered a phenomenal presentation, so he made our trip so worth the drive. After the meeting, we grabbed a late dinner with DJ and the adorable Sara France and had a wonderful time. We spoke about life and—for some reason—I freely relayed all my idiosyncrasies, complete with the I-can’t-sleep-alone-at-night to the I-ran-into-JD’s-ex-girlfriend-yesterday-at-Trader-Joe’s-and-wanted-to-melt-into-the-floor to asking totally inappropriate questions. Yup, not only did I eat a great meal, I also chewed on my foot a few times…and the best part of it all was that my company didn’t seem to mind ☺

JD and I started our way home around midnight and after he cracked the sunroof, I reclined my chair. Just before I dozed off, I stared at the stars how thought about how far I’ve metaphorically road-tripped. And the best part is that I’ve made many more allies along the way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home