Saturday, July 15, 2006

Thumbprint

Every photographer's pictures are a thumbprint. This is what I told DJ at dinner last night. He asked me to expound on this notion. Well, I said, just as thumbprints are unique to their owners, so are pictures unique to a photographer. I continued saying, If you were to line up 16 pictures from different photographers, I'd be able to tell you who shot which photo.

I've poured over other people's images for so long, that I'm able to spot their work the same way one might differentiate a Picasso from a Matisse. Studying images has been my greatest tutor, so I take pride in identifying pictures before the shooter is revealed.

DJ, Shyla and I continued speaking about a myriad of things, but I couldn't shake the thumbprint idea. Thumbprints-like pictures-leave impressions, an invisible mark of presence. DJ has left his indelible thumbprint in my life, and many others I'm sure. However, I feel blessed because while his thumbprints have been placed on others the same way it has been left on me, I have a tangible thumbprint of his. As if I rolled his fingers in ink and firmly pressed them against a piece of heavy parchment. It's sitting in a Queensbury album in my living room. And his thumbprint is handed from one guest to another with JD and I host company.

When we finished our sushi, we left the restaurant and walked Santa Monica's Promenade for a short time and called it a night. As I made my way home, I felt undeservedly blessed for the wonderful people in my life and the direction in which I'm moving. I hope there comes a day when my thumbprint serves as identification, both for my images and my character.

DJ and Shy, thanks for everything last night…you guys ROCK! :)

4 Comments:

Blogger Shyla said...

no.. no... Thank YOU Jazzy! ;)

It always so wonderful to hang out with either of you but to have the pleasure of both of ya at the SAME TIME was simply AMAZING :) I gleaned so much!

Oh and by the way, your unique thumbprint has definately left a mark on this piece of parchment ;)

8:37 AM  
Blogger || davidjay || said...

You're amazing! You left your thumbprint on me long ago.

9:38 AM  
Blogger Rodolfo Arpia said...

Gosh... I love the way you write... I need some copy for my website and I've been writing it for weeks... it's not done hehehe.

10:58 AM  
Blogger Holritz Photography said...

I need to move.

Your words continually leave their mark on my life Jas!

Love... and see you soon, I hope!

amber

12:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home