Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Party Like it's your Burfday

At 12:01, I turned off the television. I waited for this moment. JD was sleeping peacefully when I leaned into ear and whispered, “Happy birthday”. He squeezed his eyes tightly and asked what time it was. It’s just after midnight on March, 7, which means you’re officially 26 years old. Aww, thanks Jazzy, JD mumbled. I know he must have been asleep by the time I finished singing the happy birthday song.

JD had to be at work at 6:30 this morning, so the only thing I remember was him kissing my head on his way out the door.

He called when I was at the gym. He agreed to meet my brother and me for lunch at a restaurant of his choice. When he said to meet him at “Big’s” I regretted foregoing my veto power. I had never been to this restaurant, but seeing how it was a lunch buffet of greasy American food, I had no desire to ever go. Com’on Jaz, you might like it.

To JD’s credit, it wasn’t that bad. We dined on pizza, potato wedges, mac-n-cheese…fried chicken, mashed potatoes, corn…cheese bread and marinara sauce. It was a weird mix of American food, but it was a treat nevertheless. For dessert we licked soft-served ice cream cones.

I don’t think I’ll ever go back to “Big’s” because it’s really not my style, but I have to admit that I really enjoyed myself. JD has the uncanny ability to make me remember my childhood. If I were 10 years old again, I would have loved eating such a lunch. It would have been a perfect birthday meal. But somewhere down this path to adulthood, I started to worry about my weight, weighing the health implications of eating that sort of food, and forgot the joy that is derived from breaded potato wedges.

Sometimes I forget what it is to be a kid.

When I was 13, I had to sell chocolate bars as part of a soccer team fundraiser. I walked from house to house trying to lighten my “100 Grand” chocolate bar load, but when people declined, I became discouraged. I swore to myself that when I was an adult, I would always buy the proverbial chocolate bar. Last month, JD and I were walking into a restaurant late one night and passed by a girl selling chocolate bars. JD stopped and bought not one, but six chocolate bars. What are you doing, I asked rolling my eyes. What are we going to do with so much chocolate?! Patiently, he turned to me and said that he wanted the girl to go home and not worry about her standing in the dark at night. That’s when I remembered what my 13-year-old self promised my adult self.

JD reminds me of the kid inside. The kid that’s never supposed to age, even with passing birthdays.

Happy Birthday JD and may your inner child stay young forever!

1 Comments:

Blogger c r y s t a l said...

Jasmine,
I think I just wiped a tear from my eye. That's the sweetest thing ever! Have a great day and an awesome weekend!

2:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home