Sunday, June 18, 2006

Te Quiero, Papi

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you for everything you’ve given me, for who you are, and the woman you molded me to be. Because of you, I am opinionated…I love more…I have a quirky sense of humor…I have a strong jaw line…I roll tortillas on the palm of my hand right off the comal…I drive fast…I never want to be wrong…I like club Soda…I read books like they’re on the verge of banishment…I like the way mom’s head smells after not taking a shower for three days…I pray more…I have a loud laugh…I’m proud of how far I’ve come…I never overlook the small things in life…I pretend to know the words to a song, even when I don’t…I love the United States of America for its liberty and freedom…I am a leader…I poke fun at people and imitate their idiosyncracies…I love mom…I like spicy food…I depend on God…I animate my voice when reading a children’s story…I prefer a home-cooked meal to eating out…I am strong…I love my spouse…I forgive…I forget…and, most importantly, I love the Lord with all my heart, soul, and mind.

Dad, I am who I am because of you. The good, the bad, and the ugly. Thank you for continually sacrificing yourself for the family. I notice how often you bite your tongue; how often someone pushes your buttons and you’ll just let it go. I notice. You’ve only gotten better at these qualities over my 26 years of life. I want to be more like you, but as each year passes, I realize I’ll never be able to.

Growing up I thought that one day we’d be married. I don’t know what would’ve have happened to mom, but I wanted to ensure that we’d end up together forever. Perhaps I thought all three of us would marry. Either way, I wanted to stay with you because I felt love. I felt love emanating from your hands when they touched me, your arms when they cradled me, and your eyes when you told me I looked beautiful in my patent-leather shoes and ruffled dress. Although I’ve grown and ended up marrying another man, I still feel your love. Your emanating love.

Thank you for being such a wonderful father and role model. Everything I am, and everything I aspire to be, is inspired by you. If one day God blesses me with a child, I pray I am just half the parent you are…because if I am…I will be a success.

1 Comments:

Blogger mikemphotography said...

Jasmine, I don't know if you will get this comment since you have a new blog but I just want to put it out to the universe that I love what you wrote. I am a Dad. I hope my daughter gets what you get. She is only 2 years old but she is everything to me. EVERATHING!! I write in a book to her almost daily and I hope she reads it one day and says the same things you have written. I love my daughter like your dad has love you...

8:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home